cygwin programs called from non-cygwin programs mauling \" in args

Thu Jan 20 09:42:00 GMT 2005

Yitzchak,

On Jan 19 15:34, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> > $ ./nocygparent cygchild
> > [a\b"c]
>
> Can anybody else confirm this?

I can.  I already had a look into this.  The command line handling in
Cygwin is different from the command line handling in MingW or, FWIW,
VC++ CLI applications.

The question is if we really should align the rules how a native
command line is evaluated by a Cygwin process should be aligned
to Windows rules or not.

There are three arguments to consider:

- Using Windows/MingW rules lowers the surprise.

- Changing the rules at all breaks backward compatibility.

- Why shouldn't Cygwin applications use their own rules which seem
  more appropriate for a POSIX application?

Btw., if you want the same result as for the noncygchild, just quote:

  $ cygchild "a\"b\"c"

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.