Very strange rxvt problem - game hangs when it is running

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold@buddydog.org
Fri Jan 21 22:59:00 GMT 2005

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>
>>Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>>>Do you mean that the regular Cygwin bash shell makes DoD hang too?  As in,
>>>start a Command Prompt, run cygwin.bat from it, and DoD still hangs?
>>
>>More or less. I have a shortcut with the following:
>>
>>D:\WINNT\system32\CMD.EXE /c D:\cygwin\cygwin.bat
>>
>>And that makes DoD hang just like rxvt does.

>>>A WAG, and I may be really off on this: Cygwin uses TCP/IP sockets (which
>>>essentially require a TCP/IP port) to emulate Unix domain sockets.  If
>>>rxvt reserves a Unix domain socket (even if it's not using X), and DoD
>>>tries to access the same port, because it's somehow predefined and it
>>>expects it to be free, there could be a conflict.  I can't think of
>>>anything else in Cygwin that would interfere with a (presumably)
>>>non-Cygwin application.
>>
>>Well, unless the regular bash shell does it too, that probably isn't
>>correct. Like I said, it is very weird and it took me some time to
>>figure it out.
>

> The "regular bash" that you tried is really a login shell.  That *can*
> run X-related stuff, e.g., from /etc/profile.d scripts.  A real test would
> be to try a non-login bash (just run "c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -i" from a
> CMD prompt).  If that doesn't interfere with DoD, it would make my WAG
> more probable.  Otherwise we'll have to look for other possible reasons.

Okay, I tried it this way too, and it still hangs DoD.  FWIW, running
MSYS (MinGW's bash), does not hang DoD.

Very Odd.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Amazing Developments       http://www.buddydog.org

I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages. -
  William H. Mauldin