TEXT mode, BINARY mode default file opening

Pete James peter@wyrmberg.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 08:53:00 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am new to the list a have only been using CYGWIN for a few months.

I would like to use the GNU compiler as a cross compiler for a Windoze
machine and I am having problems with the files being opened in BINARY
mode, I think.

I have the whole system running on Windoze 2000 using an old version of
CYGWIN circa version 1.5.5, it all works perfectly but when I try and
install it on a Windoze XP machine it CYGWIN falls over with a heap
allocation error. So, looking at the FAQ etc I learn that I need the new
version of CYGWIN.

I install the latest version of CYGWIN on my Windoze XP machine and I
have no heap problems but what I get now is 'Invalid token in
expression' errors from the compiler on lines of code that wrap past the
carriage return. I understand that this is due to the way in which MSDOS
and UNIX text files are stored. Anyway looking at the FAQ etc, I find
that there is an environmental variable CYGWIN which if I make
=nobinmode it will not open the files in BINARY. Well sure enough if I
run CYGWIN and type mount all my mounts are in TEXT mode. But the
compiler still doesn't work. Looking deeper, I find that the latest
versions of CYGWIN default to BINARY and older ones TEXT mode. This I
think explains it. But how do I get the compiler to open the files in
TEXT mode.

This is what I think is happening. The compiler is being activated from
JAVA application which is creating an MSDOS shell. When the compiler is
called, the CYGWIN DLL loads, when this happens will the CYGWIN
environment variable be used? I also have found information that says is
the path called is explicit with a drive letter for example, then the
opening mode will be BINARY. Can this be changed to TEXT?

Unfortunately I can't change all the files to remove the extra carriage
returns or line feeds as the files are used by other programs. So I
think my options are:

1. Try and find a way of CYGWIN to open the files correctly (if indeed
it is caused by CYGWIN, note I don't say problem with CYGWIN)
2. Try and find an intermediate version of CYGWIN, I think 1.5.9 has the
XP heap fixed but not the default mount mode changed.
3. Recompile the compiler with --no-cygwin, will this allow it to work
in Windozes without CYGWIN?
4. Recompile the compiler with a windows compiler so as to make it a
native windoze application.

Well, thanks for reading all that, I hope some of you out there have
some good thoughts, and ideas for me to try.

Thanks
Pete