su alternative for Win2k
Andrew DeFaria
Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri Jan 28 22:00:00 GMT 2005
Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> I was just installing postgreSQL and ran across the problem with
>> getting initdb to run as the postgres user. As expected, I could
>> neither su nor login to work. Searching the archives and the like for
>> a fix, the most often specified one was to use ssh. But as I
>> don't run sshd, and it seems a shame to have to run this just to get
>> an su-like behaviour, that wouldn't work for me.
>
> Now I'm curious. I haven't tried to search for bug reports on su in
> Cygwin. But it's never worked for me. I always figured that I was just
> doing something wrong, but it was never important enough to find out
> what it was and fix it-- I just used 'Run As' instead, as you suggest.
>
> So now I wonder, is it not just me? Is su in Cygwin broken for everyone?
Try doing what you neglected to do, which is search for bug reports on
su in Cygwin. You'll end up answering your own question, one that's been
answered here time and time again...
--
If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person; they'll find an
easier way to do it.
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list