Why does cygwin1.dll use NtCreateFile() instead of CreateFile()

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Mon Jan 31 00:58:00 GMT 2005

Dan Ch schrieb:
> Thank you for providing some information.  But I do not understand
> what types of objects require read permission in order to successfully
> open with SYNCHRONIZE access.  On Windows XP Professional SP2, using
> CreateFile(...,GENERIC_WRITE | SYNCHRONIZE, ...) to open an ordinary
> file on a local drive that has write-only permissions does not seem
> to be a problem.  I am primarily interested in the "buggy behavior"
> that a user would experience if CreateFile() was used instead
> of NtCreateFile().

Special filenames in subdirs like con,prn,aux,nul,lpt1 et al do not work
with CreateFile(), but do work as plain files with NtCreateFile().

See attached test.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/