man - broken pipe

Krzysztof Duleba krzysan@skrzynka.pl
Wed Jul 20 08:34:00 GMT 2005

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Krzysztof Duleba wrote:
>
>>After some updates I get broken pipe messages when pressing 'q' to exit
>>from less. The man pages are printed correctly.
>
> I think that is by design and not a bug.  When you are viewing the
> manpage, a pipeline of commands has been setup to decompress and format
> the manpage.  Because 'less' doesn't ask for more input until you page
> down, it means that those commands are all blocked waiting to consume
> their input and produce more output.  If you quit 'less' before reaching
> the end, the pipeline is broken and the commands all receive SIGPIPE.
> It's normal and harmless. If you don't want to see the message you can
> hit 'end' or '>' before quitting less.  It doesn't happen with small
> manpages because they probably fit entirely in a single buffer.

I get this error on my laptop and only since I've updated most packages few
days ago. I don't get this on Linux boxes and on Windows box with Cygwin
updated the last month.

Hitting 'end' or '>' helps indeed. I wonder what makes the difference that
now SIGPIPE is delivered and has visible effects.

Krzysztof Duleba