How does one set aliases for Cygwin for XP Prof Windows? - Still doesn't work!

Ken Dibble kdibble@alltel.net
Sat Jul 23 02:52:00 GMT 2005

top -posted : reformatted

You .bash_profile should look like:
---
# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash for login shells.

if [ -e /etc/bash.bashrc ] ; then
  source /etc/bash.bashrc
fi

if [ -e ~/.bashrc ] ; then
  source ~/.bashrc
fi
----
If  memory serves, this is the default .bash_profile.

This would make sure that .bashrc gets executed whether your shell is a
login or not.

If this is indeed your .bash_profile, I would next check permissions on
both files to make sure they
are executable.

I am assuming that your login shell is bash.

If it still doesn't work, what happens when you source these files from
a command prompt?