How does one set aliases for Cygwin for XP Prof Windows - Still doesn't work! HELP!

Larry Hall lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com
Mon Jul 25 04:25:00 GMT 2005

At 11:34 PM 7/24/2005, you wrote:

>Hi Hagiwara and All,
>
>How is .bashrc and/or .bash_profile run?  I don't think they are even
>run for me.  I think I remember that another file was where I put the
>aliases last time?

HOME is not a required setting to start Cygwin's bash shell.  If you
don't set it in your Windows environment, Cygwin will check /etc/passwd,
then, HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH, and finally default to '/' if none of the
previous checks are successful (see '/etc/defaults/etc/profile' for a
full description of this).

Patrick, I think it's time you read the bash man page or at least the
pieces that others have pointed you to previously.  The man page describes
exactly what gets called and when.  Keep in mind that if you're invoking
Cygwin via 'cygwin.bat', then you're running bash.  If you're invoking a
shell in some other manner, you may or may not be running bash.  And that
brings to mind more good advice.  Please read and follow the problem
reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  Without this
basic information of *exactly* what you're doing, the problems you see,
and your configuration, people here on the list can only guess why you're
seeing the problems you are.  AFAICT, everything that you're having problems
with is basic bash stuff so it really does make sense for you to read the
man page on bash carefully to find the solutions to your problems.  If
you're still having some specific problem after that, then you can follow-
up with the list following the guidelines mentioned above.  But please
remember, this is a *Cygwin* help list, not a *bash* help list.  If your
problem is truly with bash and not how bash works (or doesn't) on Cygwin,
then you're going to be off-topic for this list.

Holliston, MA 01746