[perl-5.8.7] Perl regression tests fail when lib directory is present

Gerrit P. Haase gerrit@familiehaase.de
Mon Jul 25 16:33:00 GMT 2005

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 03:16:29PM -0500, Scott Bolte wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:14:51 -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:
>>

>>>Its gotta be something about _default_inc().  Nothing looks wrong from
>>>here.  My only guess is that local $ENV{PERL5LIB} is ineffective.  That
>>>would account for the alternation.
>>
>>	It's not just the local scoping. There is something
>>	seriously unexpected with environment variables, perl
>>	and cygwin.
>>
>>		----- th4.pl
>>		#!/usr/bin/perl
>>		use strict;
>>		use warnings;
>>
>>		$ENV{SHOULD_NEVER_BE_SEEN} = "hello world";
>>		delete($ENV{SHOULD_NEVER_BE_SEEN});
>>		system("printenv | grep SHOULD_NEVER_BE_SEEN");
>>
>>	On UNIX systems that script properly prints nothing. Not so
>>	on my cygwin (on top of XP) system:
>>
>>		cygwin% perl ~/th4.pl
>>		SHOULD_NEVER_BE_SEEN=hello world
>>
>>	It seems to imply that the results of unsetenv(3) are not
>>	persistent across an exec(2).
>

> ....or that perl isn't using unsetenv, since AFAICT, unsetenv() is operating
> as it should for both cygwin and non-cygwin processes.
>
> This was a standard problem way way back when I was maintaining my own
> version of perl for cygwin (since cygwin didn't include perl).  There was
> special code in perl to deal with cygwin's environment, IIRC.  Maybe it's
> broken in 5.8.7.
>
> cgf

Indeed, I see no unsetenv() in the perl sources.

Since it seems that the problem is independent of TH the problem should
be located in perl itself.  I'll try with a recent devel version to see
if it fails here too.  Scott, have you tried te above script with other
(older) versions of Cygwin perl too?  Since TH works with perl-5.8.6 I
suspect some of the changes integrated into maint perl to be problematic
for Cygwin, however it may also be an older bug in Cygwin perl.

Gerrit