gv: Unable to open the display.

lin q linq936@hotmail.com
Mon Jul 25 22:58:00 GMT 2005

>From: Ken Dibble <kdibble@alltel.net>
>To: cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>,  cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: gv: Unable to open the display.
>Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:03:43 -0500
>

>lin q wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>  I just installed gv using the cygwin installer, I select "Download from
>>the internet" option and the install process runs for quite a while.
>>
>>  After that I run "/usr/X11R6/bin/gv.exe" and I saw this error,
>>
>>gv: Unable to open the display.
>>
>>  What does that mean?
>>
>>  Should I install something else for gv to run? Shoudn't cygwin installer
>>already consider that?
>>
>>Thanks.
>
>Moved to Cygwin-Xfree .
>
>Is X running or are you trying to run gv from a cmd-type shell?
>
>You'll probably get more help if you follow the problem reporting
>guidelines at
>http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
>Tthe XWin log file would be helpful as well.
>
>Regards,
>Ken

It seems I should know a lot more to make gv running...

My only purpose is to view a postscript file content and as I know I should
run gv, so i installed gv package and then in cygwin shell I type
"/usr/X11R6/bin/gv.exe".

In the installation process there is nothing obvious wrong.

You mentioned I should run X first, what that mean? Is there some program I
should run before I fire up gv?

Thanks.