mc 4.6.1 - background not working

Krzysztof Duleba krzysan@skrzynka.pl
Wed Jul 27 13:42:00 GMT 2005

Pavel Tsekov wrote:

>>Why is background disabled? And why ncurses instead of S-Lang?
>
> Because using the subshell  leaves stale subshell processes and each
> time I start to debug this problem I get nowhere due to lack of time.

I didn't notice this problem. Are you sure it's still there?

> The problem is pretty complex. Hopefully I'll find the time to find a
> solution for it.
> And btw you are wrong - the MC package has subshell
> support but it is disabled by default. Try `mc --help' .

Really? My mc configured with --prefix=/usr doesn't agree with that and
subshell works.

$ mc --version
GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.1
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish
With builtin Editor
Using included S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm
With support for X11 events
With internationalization support

> Why do you think slang should be used instead of ncurses ?

Just curious.

Krzysztof Duleba