problem with starting programs via ssh / cannot see environment variable

Giger Mathias mgiger@ethz.ch
Wed Jul 27 14:00:00 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a problem with starting programs via ssh. when logging in on to a xp host with cygwin everything works fine.
(browsing files etc.)

When I want to start a program requiring some environment variables from xp I run into troubles. The job is started
in the task manager, but the program cannot be run due to missing environment variables.

These are some e.v. that are shown:
$ export
declare -x ALLUSERSPROFILE="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users"
declare -x COMMONPROGRAMFILES="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files"
declare -x COMPUTERNAME="ORANGE26"
declare -x COMSPEC="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe"
declare -x CVS_RSH="/bin/ssh"
.
.
.
declare -x WINDIR="C:\\WINDOWS"

this is only a subset of all e.v. from xp (system -> environment variables)

for running e.g. ANSYS (a simulation program) some more e.v. are required which are properly defined in xp,
but cannot be seen via ssh. the correct list would have to look like:

$ export
declare -x ALLUSERSPROFILE="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users"
declare -x ANSYS81_DIR="C:\\Program Files\\Ansys Inc\\v81\\ANSYS"
declare -x ANSYS90_DIR="C:\\Program Files\\Ansys Inc\\v90\\ANSYS"
declare -x ANSYSLIC_DIR="C:\\Program Files\\Ansys Inc\\Shared Files\\Licensing"
declare -x ANSYS_SYSDIR="Intel"
declare -x BOOKSHELF="C:\\IFOR\\WIN\\BIN\\EN_US"
...etc

I can add this environment variables manually in a .bashrc file and then everything works fine, but this is not really the way
to go. (Copying environment variables is a rather ugly "hack")

Anyone an idea?

Best regards,
Mathias