Problem with pthreads (serious memory leaks)

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Mon Jun 6 03:04:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 02:28:45AM +0000, Arash Partow wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>How many times can we do this dance ? he he he he :)
>
>The code given is as simple as its gonna get. This is the same
>code used by Thomas Pfaff and by YOU to fix previous memory
>leaks found in cygwin :)

You may be right, but I don't remember ever having to wade through 308K
worth of code to try to figure out a problem.  Searching the archives,
I see that you had a program called "ThreadTest" which exposed a stdio
memory leak.  I still have that program sitting around and it doesn't
seem at all similiar to "example1".

>OK in simple terms this is what I see: I run example1 and open up my
>taskmanager and taskinfo and slowly watch the amount of memory example1
>is using increase continuously.

And example1 is doing what?  What functions is it calling?

When did you notice this behavior?  Is it only in 1.5.17?

>I then focus on taskinfo (because it gives a more detailed
>view), and examine the the different aspects of the application
>running (the threads, the loaded modules etc...). Now I know
>just as well as anyone else that because say a program crashes
>in a standard lib routine, doesn't mean the routine is buggy.

"crashes in a standard lib routine"?  I don't see any mention of a
crash in your previous email.  A crash is sometimes easier to debug
than a leak.  What standard lib routine is this crashing in?

cgf