Problems with perl and pod2html

Gerrit P. Haase gerrit@familiehaase.de
Tue Jun 7 10:36:00 GMT 2005

Thomas Rabe wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to compile a project under windows 2000 professional using
> MSVC C++ 6.0 and the cygwin package and get the following message:
>

> text2pcap-scanner.c
> Linking text2pcap.exe
>         link @C:\DOCUME~1\rt7zfe\LOCALS~1\Temp\nmf01876.
>         cd doc
>         NMAKE /                   -f Makefile.nmake
>
> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance-Dienstprogramm: Version 6.00.8168.0
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
>
>         bash pod2html                     --title="The Ethereal Network

pod2html is a perl program, call it with "perl ...".

> Analyzer
>  0.10.10"  --noindex                                  ethereal-tmp.pod >
> ethereal.html
> bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
> pod2html: line 1: c:/programme/cygwin/usr/bin/perl: is a directory
> pod2html: line 1: exec: c:/programme/cygwin/usr/bin/perl: cannot
> execute: No error
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'bash' : Rueckgabe-Code '0x7e'Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\Programme\MVS\VC98\bin\NMAKE.EXE' :
> Rueckgabe-Code '0x2'
> Stop.
>
> D:\Ethernet\ethereal-0.10.10>
>

> Pod2html seems to need an executable file with the path usr/bin/perl.
> The beginning of pod2html is:
>

> #!/usr/bin/perl
>     eval 'exec c:programme/cygwin/usr/bin/perl -S $0 ${1+"$@"}'

At least it should be c:/programme/cygwin/usr/bin/perl, better just
leave it as is?

However it is wrong anyway.  In a Cygwin environment usr/bin is just a
mount which points to /bin, so all the executables are actually in
c:/programme/cygwin/bin/

> (I had to change the path from usr/bin/perl, because it wasn't found)
> 	if $running_under_some_shell;

If you need to call it from bash, then see above about using the correct
syntax for paths.  Why wasn't it found by bash?  Have you Cygwin perl
installed at all?

> =pod
>
> =head1 NAME
>
> pod2html - convert .pod files to .html files
>

> But in the cygwin package usr/bin/perl is an empty dirctory (as stated
> in the message). The /tmp directory exists, too. So I'm a bit confused.
> Can anybody help me? Thank you.

No.  There are no directories below usr/bin and there is no directory
usr/bin. Your installation is messed up, delete the directory
C:/Programme/cygwin/usr/bin.  Then reinstall perl and maybe other packages.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=