Directory c:\%USERPROFILE% created

Oliver Geisen technik@kreisbote.de
Mon Jun 13 15:11:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

>> I tested this again. After starting a "local" bash (local means i
>> start
>> it via doubleclick from within windows) i can see a "USERPROFILE"
>> env.-var.
>>
>> If i do this in an bash started remotely (via sshd) i can't see it
>> anymore.
>> So i think this variable comes from Explorer of whatever and is not
>> initialized
>> within a ssh-shell session.
>> This is also reflected by "cygpath -D" which outputs
>> "/cygdrive/c/%USERPROFILE%/Desktop".
>>
>> I found no trace where this var is set, so please give me a hint.
>
> It's set inside of Cygwin if possible.  It opens the registry and
> tries to read the following key:
>
>   HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\$USERNAME\ProfileImagePath
>
> If it's available, it's used as $USERPROFILE, otherwise $USERPROFILE
> stays empty.
"empty" or "not set" ?

Are you shure you mean $USERNAME in the sense of users login name, or
users SID ?

In "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\" on
my NT4-WS are many folders like
"S-1-5-21-1570706540-1911978263-1210191635-1007/", and so on.

In there is a ProfileImagePath key which contains
"%SystemRoot%\Profiles\admin".
$SYSTEMROOT points to "C:\WINNT" in my ssh-shell.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen,

Oliver Geisen
Systemadministrator
Kreisboten Verlag Mühlfellner KG