question: high virtual memory usage

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Jun 14 02:18:00 GMT 2005

Brian Dessent wrote:

> Just to clarify:
>
> taskman's "Mem usage" column == procexp's "Working set" column and
> this is the amount of memory that is actually being used by the process.
>
> taskman's "VM size" column == procexp's "Private bytes" column and
> this is the total amount of code+data that has been assigned to the
> process, though not all of it is necessarily in use.
>
> procexp's "virtual size" is simply a representation of the amount of
> virutal memory that has been allocated to the process. Virtual memory
> is not real memory and it only means that X number of pages have been
> allocated, it says absolutely nothing about the actual memory used by
> the process, and you should ignore it completely unless you have a
> specific reason to need to know about it.

That may be but it does represent the "footprint" of the process or at
least the amount of memory + swap reserved (doesn't it?). As such I seek
to minimize such usage.

--
Why are people willing to get off their ass to search the entire room
for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the