displaying Windows program on Linux via ssh / X?

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Jun 14 23:50:00 GMT 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> Michael Uman schrieb:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would recommend looking at VNC server.. If you run VNC server on
>> your windows box, you can log into it from your Linux VNC client and
>> view your Windows desktop... This works in both directions {you can
>> run VNC server on Linux and log into it from Windows}....
>
> This is really not an option, as VNC as you said only allows viewing
> "local desktop", so it's one client only. I want multi user (much like
> Terminal Server), without the pockets full of money for additional
> connections.

To achieve this use either inetd (and telnet, rsh) or sshd and use
Cygwin's excellent command line interface. You don't need notepad - vi
will do much better.

Ah but you say "There are Windows apps that only run in GUI mode and I
need to run them"? Yes that's a bummer and one of the things that
Unix/Linux users and admin rail about Windows over and over. Now you
understand why. Had it been just a Unix/Linux environment this would not
be a problem nor issue. And X Windows handled the "running a GUI app
remotely using the window system to display locally" long ago. Sigh.
When will Windows users learn...

Still you can get a lot (and I mean a lot) of milage out of Cygwin and
the command line - you just can't everything.
--
A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.