ls returns bad file descriptor

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Wed Jun 15 00:36:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:49:42PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>> > Attached.
>>
>> Try turning off strict case checking.
>
>Pierre, would you mind elaborating on exactly what in that strace pointed
>you to strict case checking being the culprit?  I've looked through it,
>but perhaps I missed something...  Thanks.

I don't know if Pierre picked up on something else (or maybe just looked
at the cygcheck output) but a clue was the fact that path_conv::check
kept inspecting components of the path even after a valid path was
detected.  I was working my way there when I wisely decided to check the
mailing list and saw Pierre's insight.  It's supposed to stop looking at
the path once it finds a valid path, except in the case of non-relaxed
case checking, i.e., this is one of a few slowdowns in the case checking
code.

cgf