Question about /etc/profile

Fernando Barsoba fbarsoba@verizon.net
Wed Jun 15 01:37:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

Thank you very much for your advise. I tried reinstalling cygwin and now
works nicely.

Thanks!

FBM

At 12:47 AM 6/13/2005, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm having problems understanding how cygwin handles the loading of
>/etc/profile:
>
>-> My cygwin.bat says the following:
>
>       @echo off
>
>       F:
>       chdir F:\cygwin\bin
>
>       bash --login -i
>
>So, 'bash' supposedly goes and looks for /etc/profile where the environment
>variables are set (PATH, HOME, etc..). However, my installation doesn't
>have /etc/profile. Does this mean that I have to create it myself?
>
>I do find a f:\cygwin\etc\defaults\etc\profile though... Should I put this
>one in my cygwin.bat?

No.  If you don't have a '/etc/profile', either something prevented the
'base-files' package postinstall script from running or you have another
piece of software using cygwin that "got in the way".  Search for and
destroy any other 'cygwin1.dll's on your system and then make sure your
mounts are pointing to your install from 'setup.exe'.  Or maybe it's
easier to just delete everything and reinstall.

>Another thing that I don't understand is why I am not able to execute
>'startx' (X server at /usr/X11R6/bin) even executing first the "profile"
>from above (manually) and having this profile the following:
>
>   PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH
>   export PATH
>
>Any idea?

Sure.  Read and follow the problem reporting guidelines below.  That
always helps.  It's good advice for your first problem as well.