Connection closed message when trying to connect with sftp using public key authentication to OpenSSH 3.7.1p2 on Windows 2003 Server

Larry Hall lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com
Wed Jun 15 14:54:00 GMT 2005

At 10:39 AM 6/15/2005, you wrote:
>At 10:14 AM 6/15/2005, you wrote:
>>I have been trying to connect to OpenSSH on my Windows 2003 Server system using public key authentication. I have tried using both sftp and ssh. In both cases the verbose output shows that the authentication succeeded okay, but the session itself just seems to die with an "Exit status 255" message (followed by "Connection closed" for sftp).
>>

><snip>
>

>>Is there some additional configuration I need to attempt on my server to make this all work? I am running the CYGWIN sshd service under the Local System account on the server.
>

>The Local System account does not have the permissions necessary to permit
>pubkey authentication to work on W2K3.  Did you install with ssh-host-config
>and ssh-user-config?  ssh-host-config will ask you if you want to create the
>"sshd_server" user that will have the proper permissions to permit pubkey
>authentication.  See 'usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README' for more details.

I should also point out that OpenSSH 3.7.1p2 is very old now.  The current
version is 4.1p1-1.  It may be that ssh-host-config doesn't have the option
to create the "sshd_server" user in that version.  I don't remember.  If it
does not, all the more reason to upgrade. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746