Problem with using stripped cygwin1.dll built from CVS

Brian Ford Brian.Ford@FlightSafety.com
Fri Jun 17 15:33:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 09:29:48AM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
> >I wish I would have known this was possible while working on DWARF 2
> >debugging.  Everything I read stated: "If it has a section header,
> >Windows' brain dead loader will load it regardless of section
> >attributes".  I hope it really works on all supported platforms.
>
> It's a documented field in PE's section header, so I don't see why it
> wouldn't work.  The only brain-dead thing that the loader does is to go
> ahead and load a section into memory if it is marked as readable or
> writable as well as noload.

Thanks for the reply.

By it, can I assume you meant IMAGE_SCN_TYPE_NOLOAD?

In the only "official" PE COFF documentation I could find:

Microsoft Portable Executable and Common Object File Format Specification
Revision 6.0 - February 1999

4.1 Section Flags:

IMAGE_SCN_TYPE_NOLOAD 0x00000002 Reserved for future use.

Don't get me wrong; I really hope it works everywhere.  I was just too
skeptical to use it before myself given that it appeared not to work
because of the binutils bug.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer