Compiling memtest from sources on cygwin

alexeik@nordlines.ru alexeik@nordlines.ru
Sun Jun 19 15:01:00 GMT 2005

Cliff Hones wrote:

> Not really on topic, and a quick google finds this:
>
>   http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5477/6mkuavhre?a=view
>
> so .previous is accepted by Sun's x86 assembler.  I can't see
> any reference to .prefix in the Gnu assembler manual however
> (google for "gnu gas manual") - so I guess the memtest86
> people may well be using Sun's.
>
> Since .previous just reselects the previous section  it wouldn't
> be difficult to edit the source (head.S) to manually reselect
> the section.
>
> BTW - the makefile uses head.s and head.S as separate files - so
> to work under Cygwin you will need to use a managed mount.
>
> -- Cliff

Hi, Cliff.

Thank you for prompt response.  I have just installed my ancient copy of
Fedora and there 'make all' of memtest works OK. I also found
'.previous' in 'info as' (on cygwin):

> `.previous'
> ===========
>
>    This is one of the ELF section stack manipulation directives.  The
> others are `.section' (*note Section::), `.subsection' (*note
> SubSection::), `.pushsection' (*note PushSection::), and `.popsection'
> (*note PopSection::).
>
>    This directive swaps the current section (and subsection) with most
> recently referenced section (and subsection) prior to this one.
> Multiple `.previous' directives in a row will flip between two sections
> (and their subsections).
>
>    In terms of the section stack, this directive swaps the current
> section with the top section on the section stack.

And since cygwin works under Windows I suspect, that cygwin people setup
the 'as' program to support windows loader. Now I am thinking -- should
I go to linux, or stay with cygwin. Actually I need to write a small
program, which works on bare metall w/o any o/s.

Thank you again.

Alexei