Mouse button copy/paste not working

Charles Packer Charles.Packer@noaa.gov
Mon Jun 20 16:51:00 GMT 2005

As a Unix veteran but first-time Cygwin user,  I've discovered that I
can't paste selected text with the middle button under these
circumstances: I have logged into a remote Unix system and start some X
window from there -- an xterm, say, or xedit. I select text in one of
those windows (by dragging with the left button down) and then try to
paste somewhere else in the window. It will paste only if the selected
text is still highlighted. This is not right; it should have been copied
to some buffer that is still available to the middle button even if the
originally selected text is no longer highlighted.

Oddly enough, the problem doesn't exist with the local Cygwin xterms and
xedit -- only with those that the remote system creates. For what it's
worth, the .xinitrc script that Cygwin uses in this installation runs
xwinclip and then wmaker. The invocation of twm has been commented out.
When I do a ps, I see that wmaker appears twice.

Incidentally, occasionally the middle button does worse than merely not
paste; it kills the window. The error message showing in the main Cygwin
xterm is: BadAtom(invalid Atom parameter); Major opcode of failed
request: 18(X_Change Property).