mounting network shares to make it persistent.

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Jun 23 23:19:00 GMT 2005

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jun 23 11:47, Monkey Pet wrote:
>
>> I want to be able to access a resource (aka map) and make it available
>> the next time a user logs into ssh. I am using cywin with the open
>> ssh server.
>>
>> I would like know answers to the following questions:
>> 1. Can mount be given a username/password and domain?
>

> No.
>
>> 2. Is the net use command the correct command to use in the
>> cgywin environment.
>

> Yes.
>
>> 3. Any attempts to mount before starting ssh will not be
>> acceptable since the network shares will change from time to time.
>> Everything needs to be done over ssh for automation.
>>
>> Here is an example:
>>
>> ssh administrator@ip
>> net use z: \\\\share\\fs2 password /USER:qadomain\\Administrator
>> /PERSISTENT:No
>> (Share is available and accessible)
>> (logout)
>>
>> ssh administrator@ip
>> (share is gone)
>>
>> Now do the following:
>> net use z: \\\\share\\fs2 password /USER:qadomain\\Administrator
>> /PERSISTENT:No
>> mount \\\share\\fs2 /test
>> (Share is available and accessible)
>> (logout)
>>
>> ssh again
>> (share exists, but can't access directory until I do the "net use")
>
> I'm running sshd on Windows XP and I don't have to enter net use all
> the time. The share is stored and accessible until reboot. But I don't
> use a drive letter at all, this might make a difference.
>
> net use \\\\server\\share /USER:domain\\user passwd

I've never quite understood the fascination with drive letters. They are
limited and they can change. Instead of doing something like:

$ net use z: \\\\server\\share /user:domain\\user passwd
$ more z:/file.txt

just do

$ more //share/fs2/file.txt

Or:

$ export z=//share/fs2
$ more $z/file.txt

If you just hate typing. (BTW: Use forward slashes - they work. IOW
\\\\server\\share == //server/share! Caveat: Forward slashes work just
find for Cygwin executables. The net use command, for example, is a
Windows command and gets confused with forward slashes as it uses that
for the options indicator - e.g. /user)

Benefit: Don't have to waste a drive letter. Also, if the drive letter
is taken on this system (e.g. z is already mapped) you don't have to
worry about it! Finally, the reference is exact and unambiguous!

--
Consider, the Bible was written by the same people who said the Earth
was flat.