/usr/man before /usr/share/man in MANPATH (Attn: man maintainer)

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Jun 24 17:06:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, John Morrison wrote:

> On Fri, June 24, 2005 3:41 pm, Igor Pechtchanski said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since the FHS mandates that man pages go into /usr/share/man,
> > shouldn't it precede /usr/man in the MANPATH?  I ran into this issue
> > because I had kept a backup copy of the old rxvt man page (the one
> > with YODLTAGSTART, etc), and, since it was in /usr/man and the new
> > rxvt man page is in /usr/share/man, the old backup was found first.
>
> My fault I think, /etc/profile also has the wrong order...

Ah.  You're right.  This does come from /etc/profile -- man.conf has it in
correct order.

> MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/autotool/devel/man:$MANPATH
>
> will change to...
>
> MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/man:/usr/autotool/devel/man:$MANPATH
>
> OK?

Yep.  Looks good.

> Should /usr/local/man be first

I think so.  User-installed man pages should override the system man pages
(especially since /usr/local/bin precedes /usr/bin in the PATH).

> and should autotool be last?

FWICS, man directories added by various packages get appended to the
MANPATH, so the autotool stuff should really go to the very end.  In fact,
perhaps it would be better to add a /etc/profile.d script that adds the
autotool man directory to MANPATH, instead of cluttering up /etc/profile
with it.  Chuck?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT