ls slow on top-level directory (was: NFS errors)

Mon Jun 27 18:48:00 GMT 2005

On Jun 27 14:50, Will Parsons wrote:
>   I notice that "ls" reports:
>
> /bin/ls: hiberfil.sys: No such file or directory
> /bin/ls: pagefile.sys: No such file or directory
>
> "ls hi<tab>" completes to "ls hiberfil.sys", and shows the same message.
>
> Could this have something to do with the slow response?

No, that's entirely unrelated.  In recent Cygwin snapshots the message
from ls has changed to "Device or resource busy" and you get an ls
output for these files.  It's just an open() on exclusively locked files
which fails in the above cases.

Along these lines, we had a short discussion on the developers list
and we're wondering if it's necessary that ls prints this error message
at all.  The message is generated after a stat() already succeeded and
a follow up acl() call returns -1.  To say it with Dave Korn's words:

ISTM that ls has all the information it should need to DTRT - a successful
call to stat(), a return value of -1 from acl() and (I would hope that)
errno has EACCES(*) from the ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION return should let it
deduce 'the file exists but is locked', shouldn't it?

Eric?

Corinna

(*) actually EBUSY.

Red Hat, Inc.