tar 1.13.25: extracts of files using hardlinks w/i same win32 directory lost

rkoroly@memphis.edu rkoroly@memphis.edu
Wed Jun 29 20:01:00 GMT 2005

tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
When I tar xvf tarfile.tar into a NTFS, Win Server 2003, directory all
files that define hardlinks within the same directory name are lost.  If
the hardlink is located in another directory, the links appears to work.
When watching the extraction, the files appear to be extracted but when
the linking file is extracted a missing link message is displayed and
the original file is deleted.  The example that I have is that a
directory of runtime objects needs to be described in upper and lower
case.  This is accomplished thru hardlinks.  After the extract completes
no files exists because each linked file deleted its associated file.