Re; Problem running xgettext after compiling gettext 0.14.1 with gcc 3.3.3

Peter Rehley peter@rehley.net
Tue Mar 1 20:00:00 GMT 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 2:04 PM, Danny Smith wrote:

> From: Peter Rehley
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working on a project where I had to recompile gettext using gcc
>> 3.3.3. I'm using cygwin 1.5.12. It compiled without issues but when I
>> went to run some of the programs, a windows dialog box pops up showing
>> the following message:
>>
>> "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on
>> OK
>> to terminate the application."
>>

> see thread starting here:
>  http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg01101.html

heh, I actually had that thread bookmarked.

Anyway I took the suggestion and modified the libtool files.  And it
didn't work.  I still got the same error message.  What I did next was
look for occurrences of "const struct", and noticed some in the
programs that I had problems with.  xgettext was one program and the
long options struct was defined with "static const struct".  When I
removed the const from there and recompiled, the program worked.

I tried this with the other programs that I was having problems with,
and they all started working.  I'm still baffled but I have the
programs working now.

> --

Enjoy,
Peter