Control-modified arrow keys

Kelly Felkins felkinator-gmane@yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 00:55:00 GMT 2005

Charles Davis <davis.1 <at> att.net> writes:

> Sorry to bother you folks with this.  I read several messages in the
> archive on the
> topic, but am unsure of the bottom line.  As I understand it in the CYGWIN
> console
> (and in apps running under it) Control-modified arrow key combinations
> cannot be
> distinguished from their unmodified counterparts.  The same is true for the
> 6-Pack
> keys.  For example, <C-Left> and <left> are indistinguishable: both emit
> "\e[D".
> (That is what I get when I follow ^V by either of these key combinations at
> the console
> prompt.)  The upshot is that apps like Emacs cannot distinguish between
> <C-left>
> and <left>, say.
> The messages in the archive also seemed to suggest that there is no way to
> coerce
> either Windows or CYGWIN to remap these distinct key combinations (which
> have distinct
> SCANCODES) to distinct escape sequences.
> RXVT is not an option.
> Did I miss a ray of hope?
> Thanks,
> Charles Davis

Charles,

I tried for a while to get emacs to work in the console and rxvt with no luck. I
documented some of the issues at
http://kellyfelkins.org/article/19/cygwin-terms-and-emacs.

I eventually switched to the cygwin xterm. Life is much better there. I
initially had concerns that xterm on cygwin (and the x version of emacs) would
be slower, but I think its fine.

-Kelly