Building OpenSSH

Karl M karlm30@hotmail.com
Thu Mar 3 08:05:00 GMT 2005

>From: Igor Pechtchanski
>Subject: Re: Building OpenSSH
>Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:25:37 -0500 (EST)
>
>On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Karl M wrote:
>
> > Hi All...
> >
> > While tracking down an occasional hang in keychain, I tracked it down to
> > ssh-add...so I wanted to build OpenSSH. More on this when I finish
>tracking it
> > down. But along the way...
> >
> > I used the following command from the cygwin openssh readme file.
> >
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir='$(sbindir)' \
> > --localstatedir=/var --datadir='$(prefix)/share'
>--mandir='$(datadir)/man' \
> > --with-tcp-wrappers
> >
> > The configure complains that commands sbindir and datadir are not
>defined.
> > Should I be doing things differently?
>
>Those are supposed to be braces, not parentheses.  I.e., use "${sbindir}"
>instead of "$(sbindir)".  I would also recommend using a font that makes
>better distinction between "(" and "{".
That is what I suspected...so take a look at the openssh.README file...so it
is a typo there.

> > Also, would it be possible for the OpenSSH maintainer to create a
>package
> > (pseudo package) that captures the dependencies required to build
>OpenSSH? It
> > would make building it much easier.
>
>Is this sentence from the end of /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README:
>
>	You must have installed the zlib, the openssl-devel and the
>	minires-devel packages to be able to build OpenSSH!
Also TCP Wrappers and I don't recall if there was anything else (it is past
my bedtime). It is not worth a lot of work, but it might not be a bad way to
"document" the dependences.

>not enough?  Or do you mean stuff like "gcc", "ash", "make", etc?
No, not the tools.
>	Igor
Thanks,

...Karl