Exim says TCP port "smtp" not found

Pierre A. Humblet Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org
Sat Mar 5 09:24:00 GMT 2005

At 06:03 PM 3/4/2005 -0800, John Kim wrote:
>I just downloaded & installed Cygwin w/ Exim on a Windows 2000 box and...
>  - ran exim-conf successfully
>  - chmod-ed all the log files & directories to SYSTEM:root
>  - created the /var/mail and /var/spool/mail directories.

These last two steps are OK but not necessary.

>When I try to start exim service ("net start exim" from Cygwin bash shell)
>it says that it cannot be started. When I look in the log files, it says (in
>cygrunsrv_err.log):
>  TCP port "smtp" not found.
>
>I looked in /etc/services and SMTP at port 25 is there (I hadn't touched the
>file to begin with).
>
>What should I do?

This is a sign of trouble with winsock, getservbyname() is one
of the initial network calls.
There must be something special with your environment...
Do you perhaps have a user called "exim" in /etc/passwd ?
If so, remove it.
Also, do you run exim under the system account?

There was a very long thread about that problem two years ago, ending with
If you don't have an "exim" user, we are in for some similar debugging :(

Pierre