Cygwin (current): Bug in how managed mounts handle reserved words

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Mon Mar 7 08:50:00 GMT 2005

(Note:  I have not re-subscribed to the list yet and probably won't for another week or so, so please CC me in any replies - TIA)

Hi,

I've discovered a small bug in how Cygwin (CVS HEAD as of Saturday) handles reserved dos names created on managed mounts.  I discovered this while working with a FreeBSD cross-compiler (actually CVS discovered it).  Rather then bore you with my hypothesis, so here's the details:

OS: Windows XP SP2
FS: NTFS
UNAME: CYGWIN_NT-5.1 foobar 1.5.14(0.122/4/2) 2005-03-02 22:46 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin
$CYGWIN: export check_case:strict tty ntea ntsec smbntsec server checkcodepage:oem

NOTE: All cygwin packages are up to date.

Steps to reproduce:
-------------------
1) mkdir -p /usr/src/test
2) mount -o managed C:\\<path to root>\\usr\\src\\test /usr/src/test
3) cd /usr/src/test
4) mkdir -p cygwin-src/freebsd-src/sys/dev/digi
5) cd cygwin-src/freebsd-src/sys/dev/digi
6) touch .new.con.CX-IBM.h
7) mv .new.con.CX-IBM.h con.CX-IBM.h

The error it gives me is:

"mv: cannot move `.new.con.CX-IBM.h' to `con.CX-IBM.h': Filename exists with different case"

So, I did a strace on the experimental testcase I mentioned above.  In addition, I setup a control (known working) testcase which used the steps outlined above, except using the filenames ".test.me.now" and "me.now" instead.  I've attached the differences between the strace outputs of my experiment and control (minus any extraneous differences).  I haven't looked at it in depth, so unfortunately I don't have a fix.  However, based on a cursory look, it would seem the problem is somewhere in path_conv (either posix or win).

Cheers,
Nicholas

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.