How to use Package Chooser in Setup.exe

Matthew Johnson mej1960@yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 02:16:00 GMT 2005

Yes, I _have_ read the Setup Instructions at
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html and
the FAQ. If there is an answer to my questions there,
it needs to be reworded; I could not find it.

When the radio button in the Package Chooser of
Setup.exe selected is 'Cur' and 'View' is set to "up
to date", what does 'keep' mean? Does it mean to keep
it up to date, or does it mean to keep whatever is
already installed on the system in question? And if
the latter, how does that differ from 'install' or
from 'reinstall'?

And if I keep clicking on the 'keep' icon, I see a
couple of version numbers pop up. Is the latest of
them the version I already have, or the version that
will be installed if I select 'install'? And how _do_
I select 'install' if I have to keep clicking on the
same icon to get 'install' to come back?

Under "Choosing Packages", the above-mentioned website
only says rather unhelpful things like, "To Uninstall,
Reinstall or get the Source, click on Keep to toggle
it". There is no mention of version numbers popping
up!

Likewise, the FAQ does not even _mention_ the 'Keep'
option in the Package Chooser. 'Keep' only has the
normal English sense and does not refer to the Chooser
in any instance in that doc.

I know you have a lot of eager volunteers doing a good
job of maintaining the Package Chooser, but do you
have them maintaining these documents as well? It
appears not (since my questions are not answered
there), and if they are updated to reflect the changes
to the Chooser, we could cut down on traffic to this
list. If I knew the answers to such questions I would
offer to do it myself, but as it is...

The above was all composed based on setup.exe
2.457.2.2, which is what I get when I click "Install
Cygwin Now!"

Matthew Johnson
mej1960@yahoo.com