Problems starting SSHD

Jeff Silverman jsilverman@real.com
Fri Mar 11 20:24:00 GMT 2005

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Jeff Silverman wrote:
>>

>>>sshd : PID 1696 : starting service `sshd' failed: execv: 1, Operation
>>>not permitted.
>>>

>Here's the "real" incantation:
>
>cygcheck /usr/sbin/sshd.exe | sed -ne 's,\\,/,g' -e '/cygwin/p' | \
>  xargs cygpath -u | xargs chmod a+x
>
>Sorry for letting that test bit through...
>

>>(as is, on 2 lines -- just cut-and-paste to your shell).
>>
>>Also, "chmod a+x /bin".
>>

>>>and
>>>
>>>sshd : PID 2548 : starting service `' failed: redirect_fd: open (1,
>>>/var/log/sshd.log): 13, Permission denied.
>>>

>>Try "chmod a+x /var /var/log" and
>>"chown SYSTEM.SYSTEM /var/log/sshd.log && chmod 644 /var/log/sshd.log"
>>

>>>I have attached the output of  cygcheck -svr as the file
>>>cygcheck)output.txt.
>>>What else should I look at, please?
>>>

>>It's always a good idea to check permissions on anything that might be
>>used in a program running as service, just to make sure that the SYSTEM
>>user (which is used to run services, a.k.a. LocalSystem) has appropriate
>>access.
>>
>>HTH,
>>	Igor

I tried the incantation (You're a clever script coder) and the chmod
commands but to no avail.  Insofar as I can tell, system has access to
all of the files it is looking for.  I even tried chmod 777
/var/log/sshd.log in an effort to identify the problem..

I also went through a cygwin installation on a Windows/2000 machine
using the same procedure as the Windows/2003 server machine, and it
works just fine.  So I conclude that there is some subtle difference
between W2K3 and W2K which is tripping up Cygwin for some reason.  Maybe
that's naive.

Jeff