Problem with the "-r" test in Perl 5.8.6-4

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes sthoenna@efn.org
Sat Mar 12 00:23:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 08:44:40PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble with Perl 5.8.6-4 under Cygwin 1.5.12.  Some perl
> script uses the "-r" test to chech whether a directory is readable.  It
> fails on the following directory:
>
> $ perl -e 'exit !(-r $ARGV[0])' /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/ThinkPad/Utilities && echo "yep"
> $ test -r /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/ThinkPad/Utilities && echo "yep"
> yep
> $ ls -ld /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/ThinkPad/Utilities
> drwx------+ 2 admin None 0 Aug 16  2004 /cygdrive/c/Program Files/ThinkPad/Utilities/
> $ getfacl /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/ThinkPad/Utilities
> # file: /cygdrive/c/Program Files/ThinkPad/Utilities
> # owner: admin
> # group: None
> user::rwx
> group::---
> group:root:rwx
> group:SYSTEM:rwx
> group:Users:r-x
> group:Power Users:rwx
> mask:rwx
> other:---
> default:user::rwx
> default:group:root:rwx
> default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
> default:group:Users:r-x
> default:group:Power Users:rwx
> default:mask:rwx
> $
>
> Is this behavior by design, or does perl actually check ACLs and something
> is wrong with my installation?
> 	Igor
> P.S. IIUC, this wouldn't have anything to do with traverse checking, even
> if it weren't 1.5.12.

perldoc -f -r:

              The interpretation of the file permission operators "-r", "-R",
              "-w", "-W", "-x", and "-X" is by default based solely on the
              mode of the file and the uids and gids of the user.  There may
              be other reasons you can't actually read, write, or execute the
              file.  Such reasons may be for example network filesystem
              access controls, ACLs (access control lists), read-only
              filesystems, and unrecognized executable formats.

You can try the filetest pragma: use filetest 'access';
see perldoc filetest.