Man pages messed up when viewed over SSH

overbored overbored@overbored.net
Mon Mar 14 10:13:00 GMT 2005

Thanks for the pointer to man.conf. I tried:

PAGER=less man sudoers
PAGER='less -isrRe' man sudoers

It's always the same thing.

But then, on a RH box - just from a completely random guess! - I changed
this line in /etc/man.config:

#
# Useful paths - note that COL should not be defined when
# NROFF is defined as "groff -Tascii" or "groff -Tlatin1";
# not only is it superfluous, but it actually damages the output.
# For use with utf-8, NROFF should be "nroff -mandoc" without -T option.
#
TROFF       /usr/bin/groff -Tps -mandoc
#NROFF      /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc ### BEFORE
NROFF       /usr/bin/nroff -c -Tascii -mandoc ### AFTER
JNROFF      /usr/bin/groff -Tnippon -mandocj
KNROFF      /usr/bin/groff -Tkorean -mandoc
EQN     /usr/bin/geqn -Tps
NEQN        /usr/bin/geqn -Tlatin1
KNEQN       /usr/bin/geqn -Tkorean
TBL     /usr/bin/gtbl
# COL       /usr/bin/col
REFER       /usr/bin/grefer
PIC     /usr/bin/gpic
VGRIND
GRAP
PAGER       /usr/bin/less -isr
CAT     /bin/cat

That did the trick.

Thus spake Igor Pechtchanski on 3/13/2005 1:47 PM: