./configure

Mark Paulus mark.paulus@mci.com
Mon Mar 14 17:41:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:32:28 +0000 (UTC), Donald wrote:

>Paulo Sequeira <psequeira <at> racsa.co.cr> writes:

>> Donald wrote:
>> > I am a newbie for cygwin.When I try to typed ./configure, it shows that.
>> >
>> > "$ ./configure"
>> > "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory"
>> >
>> > Is there missing some packages of cygwin?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help
>> >

>> where are you running that command from? Most likely, you won't find a
>> configure file in home, unless you've deliverately put one there.
>>
>> what are you trying to configure?
>>

>I have typed "./configure" under /usr/src
>I try to install a program but I don't have any experience on compiling a
>program. :(

>The readme of the program said :

>Build
>-----

>Goto the "src" directory and run "./configure". When this finishs
>successfully, run "make".

>But when I typed "./configure" ,
>"bash: ./configure: No such file or directory"

The problem would be one of interpreting the readme.  When they
say "go to the src directory", the readme is referring to the source
directory of the package you are trying to build.  Which is probably
under /usr/src.  So, if you have a tarball, foo.tar.gz, then, when you expand
it in /usr/src, it would produce some directory /usr/src/foo, or possibly
/usr/src/foo-x.y.z where x.y.z is a revision.  Then you would cd down
into /usr/src/foo, and run ./configure WITHIN /usr/src/foo.  this would
do all it's work, and then you would run make and build your package.