Cygwin 1.5.13 Vs. SETI@Home on Windows XP

Aaron Humphrey alfvaen@gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 21:11:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:30:03 -0800, David Rothenberger wrote:
> On 3/17/2005 6:20 PM, John Whitlock wrote:
> > I was having the same problem as Patrick Graebal (see Bash hangs, CTRL-C
> > required).  The cygwin shell was very slow to start, and executing
> > "bash --login -i -x" showed that the time consuming programs were the same
> > (id -un, uname -s, etc.).  I also tried reinstalling base packages, a
> > complete reinstall, etc.  On a whim, I shut down SETI@Home, and things were
> > back to normal speed.

To clarify: Is this the new "BOINC" client for SETI@Home, or the older
standalone version?  I never had a speed problem with the older
version, but I did with the BOINC one.

> I believe you're experiencing the same problem discussed in
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-03/msg00159.html>.

The latest snapshot does work to fix these problems for me.  The
problem I first saw, actually, was a severalfold(~50 times) slowdown
in scp, which I got to go away by pausing the BOINC client(which is
running both SETI@Home and ClimatePrediction software).  But yesterday
I discovered that starting up Cygwin shells was also slow.  The
snapshot fixes the scp problem as well.

--Aaron V. Humphrey