Cygwin's libtool problem with directory that contains white spaces

Tue Mar 22 16:13:00 GMT 2005

Jean-Philippe Barrette-LaPierre wrote:
> I'm experiencing problems with libtool 1.5.10 on Cygwin. I'm trying to
> compile a project in:
>
> /home/Jean-Philippe\ Barret/project/curlpp
>
> In the 'examples' subdirectory, this problem occurs:

[snip]

> you can see that this is not correct. It didn't expanded the
> "-L/home/Jean-Philippe Barret/curlpp/curlpp"
> ("-L../curlpp" on the libtool call) correctly. We should have this line
> instead:
>
> + deplibs=-L/home/Jean-Philippe Barret/curlpp/curlpp
>
> So, it seems that it doesn't handle correctly a directory with white
> spaces. I tried with a directory without any whitespace, and it worked
> perfectly.

Yep.  Cygwin's libtool, which is almost unchanged from the official
1.5.10 -- does not support pathnames with spaces in them.  I would ask
for patches, but things seem to be gearing up for the long-heralded
libtool-2.0 release and it may (or may not?) have fixed problems of this
sort.

Unfortunately, all I can recommend at this time is "don't do that."
Maybe unpack and build in /tmp/curlpp instead of in your $HOME.

--
Chuck