ssh-agent people (and others) please try latest snapshot

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Thu Mar 24 19:41:00 GMT 2005

> On Mar 23 15:55, David Rothenberger wrote:
>
>>This snapshot is not working as well as the 20050322 snapshot for me. I
>>start ssh-agent, add a key to it, and then run
>>
>>  while true; do date; ssh-add -l; done
>>
>>in four rxvt windows simultaneously. With the previous snapshot this
>>worked fine. With this snapshot, the loops occasionally all hang up for
>>a while and then several windows print
>>
>>  Error writing to authentication socket.
>>  Error writing to authentication socket.
>>  The agent has no identities.
>

> I could reproduce it and apparently the secret event handling isn't quite
> as safe under load as expected.  I reworked the whole secret handhake so
> that a AF_LOCAL/SOCK_STREAM session now always starts with a handshake on
> the socket itself, which exchanges the connect secret and the credentials
> and closes the connection if anything happens.  I've tested this solution
> under heavy load and it only breaks for me now, if the number of sockets
> in the TIME_WAIT state disallows any further connection to the running
> ssh-agent.  In this case you'll get a message:
>
>   Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.
>
> This is not a Cygwin problem or only in so far as Cygwin uses AF_INET
> sockets to implement AF_LOCAL sockets.  On my XP Pro system there's an
> upper bound of about 2000 connections in TIME_WAIT, when the above
> message shows up for the first time.
>
> Please test the next Cygwin snapshot again.

The latest snapshot is working well for me. Thanks!

--
David Rothenberger                spammer? -> spam@daveroth.dyndns.org
GPG/PGP: 0x7F67E734, C233 365A 25EF 2C5F C8E1 43DF B44F BA26 7F67 E734