clamwin installs incompatible copy of cygwin1.dll

Jim Kleckner jek-cygwin1@kleckner.net
Fri Mar 25 03:56:00 GMT 2005

Larry Hall wrote:

>At 01:50 PM 3/24/2005, you wrote:
>

>>I had a user install clamwin and as discussed on the list here:
>>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-09/msg00288.html
>>it blithely installs cygwin1.dll regardless of any installation
>>of cygwin.  This predictably causes problems.
>>
>>Searching through the user guide and faq doesn't yield
>>a suggestion for solutions or workarounds and searching
>>the list archives yields so much material that it is
>>hard to focus in on what specifically to do.  Obviously,
>>I can have the person uninstall clamwin.  Is there anything
>>else that makes sense (and, no, uninstalling cygwin doesn't
>>make sense)?
>>

>The "standard" solution in these cases is to remove the cygwin1.dll
>from the offending 3rd party package after installing and make sure
>that the 3rd party package can find the already existing cygwin1.dll
>in the Cygwin installation (C:\cygwin\bin by default).  The easiest
>way to do this is to put the Cygwin installation path/bin in your
>Windows path.  As Chris points out, this could all be automated with
>some minor effort on the part of the 3rd party providers but in the
>absence of such support, you have to do it manually. :-(  A better
>question might be to ask the clamwin folks why they can't augment
>their installer to accommodate an existing Cygwin installation.  If
>their package breaks a Cygwin installation, it's really not a Cygwin
>problem per-se.

This is helpful, thank you.  Being curious and trying to be minimal
about changes
to the system in question, I tried removing and linking the dll in
place.  I first tried
"ln -s /bin/cygwin1.dll" in the clamwin/bin directory and wasn't
surprised that it
didn't work.  Being Unix person by background, I then tried "ln
/bin/cygwin1.dll"
and that surprised me by working.  I expected to see an NTFS cygwin1.dll.lnk
file in there but using "cmd.exe" and "dir" or the windows explorer
looks like a
full copy of the dll file.  An "ls -l" tantalizingly shows a link count
of 2.  "info ln"
doesn't give any cygwin-specific info.  The section of the user guide
located here:
  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-effectively.html#id2950938
has some wording that implies this might work but isin't definitive.

My question now is, can "ln" be used to work around this issue or is
that a "bad idea"?

Thanks again - Jim

PS.  Since cgf is steadfast, perhaps this explanation could be added to
the FAQ
entry located here that partially explains why multiple dlls is a problem:
  http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC50