Compiling purely native (mingw) win32 apps under cygwin...

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold@buddydog.org
Mon Mar 28 16:51:00 GMT 2005

Jani Tiainen wrote:
> Larry Hall kirjoitti:
>
>> At 05:42 AM 3/27/2005, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I was wondering what I have to do to get purely native win32 app to
>>> build under cygwin. I know that -mnocygwin directive drops out
>>> dependency to cygwin1.dll, but how about other libraries?
>>>
>>> How I can make a separate sandbox for my purposes that in any case
>>> even two versions of libs exists cygwin uses only my own libs..?
>>
>> If you don't want or need the Cygwin layer, you can always just download,
>> install, and use the MinGW version of gcc/g++ (see www.mingw.org).  The
>> '-mno-cygwin' flag to the Cygwin version of gcc/g++ is meant to be a
>> convenient option to get the same results as the MinGW version without
>> installing a copy.  Still, if MinGW is what you want and all you ever
>> want,
>> you're better off using it that the Cygwin switch.
>>
>> If you're ever unsure about which DLLs got linked into your
>> executable/DLL,
>> simply run 'cygcheck <foo>', where <foo> is the executable/DLL in
>> question.
>> It will list all the implicitly loaded DLL dependencies.  If there are
>> any
>> Cygwin dependencies, you'll see them.
>

> Well I need Cygwin for build environment since mingw/msys package
> doesn't work well with automake/autoconf.
>
> But still is there some special environment vars (like PKG_CONFIG_PATH)
> that I have to set to make things sure..?
>
> And of course I use Cygwin for ssh + xorg connectivity to my Linux
> server...

Well, according to the MinGW web site, it's very easy to work with both.  Just
make sure the MinGW /bin is before the Cygwin /bin. See the FAQ entry:

http://www.mingw.org/mingwfaq.shtml#faq-usingwithcygwin

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Amazing Developments       http://www.buddydog.org

I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages. -
  William H. Mauldin