recv and errno during a connection reset/closed by peert

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Wed Mar 30 07:31:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Brian Ford wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Peter Stephens wrote:
>
>> I have thought about your suggestion and it makes a lot of sense.
>>
>> It seems like your suggestion would be very portable.  A good suggestion and
>> the most likely route for me at this point.
>
> Not to me.  Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems you are going to a
> lot of effort to poorly recreate poll/select?

Why?  If you are doing sequential, non multi-plexed, reads why do poll or
select?  Sitting in read is more optimal and the read should return
either data or an error.  The flaw in recv is that it returns a non-error
non-data status.  Perhaps it would be better to switch to using read()
instead of recv?

> This is really getting off-topic, though.

Yes.  Isn't it fun ?-)

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>