clamwin installs incompatible copy of cygwin1.dll

Jim Kleckner jek-cygwin1@kleckner.net
Wed Mar 30 23:40:00 GMT 2005

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:45:10AM -0800, Jim Kleckner wrote:

> So, if you're a Unix guy since 1978, that puts you in a unique category.
> You don't qualify as a FAQ.

I don't quite understand this.  I don't qualify to write FAQ entries
or shouldn't be allowed to use them?

> I have very strong reservations about filling up documentation with
> every conceivable combination of advice that we could possibly think of.
> Adding rationales to stop Unix guys from shooting themselves in the foot
> should not be a focus of the FAQ.  The FAQ is there to give advice to
> people on what to do, not to provide rationales for why they shouldn't
> do other things that pop into their heads.

Then strike the link text and limit it to the workaround of adding
the bin to the system path.   My text was a suggested starting point.

>>Look, all I'm trying to do here is save time for other people, not
>>waste all of our time.  The notion that the email list should be
>>the primary reference for this kind of issue is wrong.  And it shouldn't
>>be this hard to try to help out either.
>

> The solution that the DLL has to be in the system path is not required
> for a sanctioned Cygwin release.  But, then, we've seen before that
> clamwin insists on running in a non-cygwin environment.  I don't want to
> be in the business of adding advice to the FAQ for fixing up other
> people's problems.

Nobody said the workaround was required.

I am very grateful for the great lengths you go to to fix other people's
problems who use cygwin.

> If this is a problem with clamwin then people should be lobbying them
> for a fix, not suggesting that the Cygwin FAQ has to be modified as
> a workaround.

Agree that clamwin should be fixed.  I don't use it and don't care to
use it.  But then I share the compute resources.

Jim

- "It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness"