setup alternatives (was Re: Bespoke installations: simple elegance of setup.exe when setup.ini is absent)

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Tue May 3 12:55:00 GMT 2005

Jani Tiainen wrote:
> Why to reinvent wheel..?
>
> You could use existing systems, like Debian package-system (deb),
> RPM-system like Fedora Core/RedHat, or Gentoo's Emerge.
>
> All working, proven technologies.

Would you like to have a go at porting one of them to Windows, then?

Also, what about a GUI?

I would very much like to see an RPM or DEB based Cygwin, but I've never had
a suitably large chunk of free time to devote to such an undertaking. I
recently tried to get rpm-4.4.1 working on Cygwin, but although it compiled,
it segfaulted immediately on startup. Of course, really we would need a
native Windows port, which would be even harder.

Max.