"ls" finds file1 but "ls file1" does not

Charles D. Russell worwor@bellsouth.net
Tue May 10 18:53:00 GMT 2005

Eric Blake wrote:

>  mv -v "$f" " ` echo $f | tr A-Z a-z ` "

 EVIL - you are moving "FOO" to " foo " (Windows strips trailing spaces,
but not leading spaces, so it is really moving to " foo").  YOU ARE
ADDING SPACES to the filename.  Fix your script so that there are no
spaces between "` and `".
_____________

Thought it was clever of me to make that little ` visible to my old eyes.
_______________

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, `ls -q' or `ls -Q' would have made this
apparent.
______________

ls -Q does, if invoked as "ls -Q" and not as "ls -Q as*"

Thanks for the help, and sorry for an inquiry that turned out to be
off-topic.

 I am reluctant to upgrade because the use of large static
>  fortran arrays with cygwin/g77 seems to be a fragile issue and my
>  current installation is now working (but only with -mno-cygwin).

 Dave Korn wrote:

  That one is *well-and-truely* fixed, solved, sorted, straightened out,
banged on the head, put to bed, laid to rest, and otherwise dealt with!