Fixing strace and cygcheck so that they work with mount -X

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Thu May 12 00:09:00 GMT 2005

On 5/11/2005 3:41 PM, Michael Schaap wrote:
> The patch as-is doesn't compile for me, though, I presume because
>     char **envp = (char **) cygwin_internal (CW_ENVP);
> uses a not-yet-released Cygwin enhancement.  But when I change it to the
> simpler and more standard
>     char **envp = environ;
> it compiles and works fine, both under mount -X and normally.

Doh! I didn't read Chris' last comment carefully enough. Yes, copying
from environ is much more reasonable.

> (At first I was a bit suspicious of the logic - it only sets those
> Windows variables that are not currently set, so what about variables
> that were changed or deleted within Cygwin? - but it looks like the
> Windows environment isn't the standard pre-Cygwin user environment, but
> a minimal one with only PATH and SYSTEMROOT set, so it actually does
> behave optimally this way - it sets all other variables when running
> under mount -X, and sets nothing otherwise.)

Right. The main reason I did that, though, was because copying the
Cygwin PATH to the Windows environment caused lots of core dumps.

> Revised patch attached.  Can you try this out and see if it still works
> for you?  If you confirm this, I'll resend the patch in a new, more
> obviously titled thread, to attract Chuck's attention.  ;-)

Works fine for me. Start attracting!

--
David Rothenberger                spammer? -> spam@daveroth.dyndns.org
GPG/PGP: 0x7F67E734, C233 365A 25EF 2C5F C8E1 43DF B44F BA26 7F67 E734

To Perl, or not to Perl, that is the kvetching.
              -- Larry Wall in <199801200310.TAA11670@wall.org>