date.exe problem

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo@gmail.com
Sat May 14 12:35:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

I would like to use the cygwin tools in batch files, to extend the
poor shell windows has. My shell is cmd.exe for xp pro. Ok.

One thing that is not working as should is 'date'. As I understand
from the faq, one can use full paths to executables in cmd.exe, that
works fine interactively. Now the problem is this. I declare a %hour%
variable in a batch file

set hour=c:\cygwin\bin\date.exe

if I then do:

%date% +%H-%M

that works as expected (interactively). But, if I use that in the
batch file, then it gives me "H" instead of the hour. It ommits the
'%' , does not interpret it and does not work. I am not sure if this
is a dos problem (my understanding of this is not very good, I am
afraid).

Thanks in advance,

N.Asenjo