PLEASE MODERATE

Sun May 15 18:02:00 GMT 2005

On May 15 10:48, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> > > On May 15 09:19, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> > > Someone needs to start moderating this list. Now.
> >
> > From: Corinna Vinschen
> >
> > You're volunteering?
>
> Actually, if your server has the ability to send the first post of each new
> signup to a moderator, the job of eliminating massive spam like we just saw
> becomes pretty trivial, involving one action per signup. If there's no one
> actually at Redhat who can handle that, then I suppose I'd be willing--I do
> that for a couple other lists.

I was kidding.  This is the sourceware.org server.  It has been contributed
by Red Hat but it's maintained entirely by volunteers.  So, no, there's
nobody at Red Hat doing that and it doesn't fall into the responsibility of
anyone at Red Hat.  And, no, there's nobody actually interested in moderating
lists on sourceware.org.  Many lists are subscriber-only, the Cygwin list is
not.  It might become subscriber-only at one point, but I actually doubt it.
Usually the spam filtering is very good.

I explained what happens today in a posting from just an hour ago.  What
hits this list is just the tip of the iceberg.  Most of the postings
already have been filtered out by the spam detection software.  So please
let's put this to rest.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.