Please test latest snapshot

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net
Tue May 17 00:47:00 GMT 2005

[snip uberslow network traverse]

> I don't know if there is a reasonable way to speed this up,
> because you want to ensure that //machine exists before
> allowing `cd //machine' to succeed, but don't want to go
> stat'ing every machine on the network when doing a readdir() on //.

I can think of one way: go to a "thread pool" sort of arrangement where you
spawn off a thread to wait for the (non-)responses from network PCs in
parallel.  This would reduce the worst-case traverse time from O(Ttimeout)
to O(Ttimeout/Nsize-of-threapool).

Of course, this would require massive changes to ls, and would unnecessarily
slow down and increase resource usage of the most common use case of ls,
namely getting a simple directory listing of files on a local disk.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle